Hallmark Telling Customers Gone with the Wind Ornaments are History

Gone with the Wind OrnamentReports are swirling on social media that Hallmark is telling customers their famed Christmas ornaments themed after the 1939 movie Gone with the Wind are no longer available.

Recent civil unrest surrounding the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis has elevated the charges of racism and “white privilege” in American culture.

As a response, companies all over America are posting racism policies and quickly distancing themselves from anything that might be construed as racist. Aunt Jemima is suddenly being retired after being in business on syrup bottles and boxes of pancake mix since 1889. Uncle Ben’s Rice is “evolving the brand”. And HBO removed Gone with the Wind over its depictions of “ethnic and racial prejudices.”

All of a sudden, after decades of enjoying “one of the greatest of all time films” acclaim, anything having to do with Gone with the Wind is poison. Snowflakes nationwide are suddenly triggered by what has been right in front of their face this whole time. Here’s a good example of their shock and outrage.

To be fair, other streaming services have kept Gone with the Wind available and the buying public has recently made Gone with the Wind a popular buy on Amazon streaming.

Popular movies of all types are frequently used to market Christmas collectibles in the form of ornaments. Christmas enthusiasts are famous for theming home decorations and Christmas trees under all manner of topics, from foods to music to, yes, movies.

So for Christmas collectible fans, far removed from the racial debates, the sudden unavailability of a collectible line that has been around for years is a bit much to handle.

On the one hand, all the grey market sources for these ornaments are going to clean up. Secondary markets such as eBay and Amazon for used for excess inventory sales are sure to enjoy healthy price increases. On the other, honest fans who spend years building up a collection at considerable cost the sudden change is aggravating.

One member of a Hallmark collectibles group on Facebook was just outraged when Hallmark would give no explanation when he called to order. “She just said it’s no longer available,” the poster commented. “Not it’s temporarily out of stock. She made it sound like Hallmark would not be bringing it back”. Several other posters claimed similar conversations with Hallmark.

Another poster commented that if Hallmark made a “mammy” ornament available she would gladly purchase it. That comment quickly resulted in the now-common retort that the poster’s “white privilege” needed to be checked.

Hallmark has not responded to our requests for further information.

Given the current trend in marketing it will not be a shock if Hallmark causes its Gone with the Wind products to go the way of Disney’s Song of the South.

The irony in that is that Hallmark has fallen under some criticism lately for not having enough people of color in their famous made-for-TV formulaic Christmas movies.

Clearly Hallmark has a problem and they know it.

Editor’s Note: A few hours after we posted this a kind reader on Twitter shared this screen shot from their seach at Hallmark for Gone with the Wind products:

Hallmark

51 thoughts on “Hallmark Telling Customers Gone with the Wind Ornaments are History

• July 12, 2020 at 8:05 am

In am sick of corporate America catering to an organization that is promoting hate and violence and the founder is a Marxist. It’s a shame that hallmark is caving in to radical group. How many people in this organization purchase products and watch hallmark as I have done for years. Hallmark now supports a hate group and does not CARE about the loyal customers and fan base that it has had for years.

• July 22, 2020 at 9:18 am

No Gone With the Wind ornament for 2020? Never mind all the politics behind the decision. It was a annual Christmas tradition that I buy a GWTW ornament for my Mom (it’s her favorite movie of all time). Every year I go to Hallmark looking for the newest GWTW ornament and end up buying 6 or more other ornaments! Looks like I won’t be spending ANY MONEY at Hallmark at Christmas time this year. Hope more people feel the same! Thank you Hallmark for ruining my family tradition.

• August 1, 2020 at 8:17 am

A few years ago I started buying my mom these to keep up with her collection. For years she thought they no longer were making new ones, till I found out differently and caught her up, I then started buying them every year for her birthday (it’s in august) well I was shocked to see they won’t be having them this year, told my mom this when I originally saw the article she was sadden to hear that they won’t have them this year.

• August 4, 2020 at 6:26 pm

The screen shot is mine I did that the morning I found out they had pulled the ornaments for Scarlett OnLine .. The screen shot is from Scarlett OnLine Facebook page … Dee

• August 26, 2020 at 11:19 am

I was so disappointed by the cancellation of the 2020 GWTW Keepsake Ornament, I wrote Hallmark corporate HQ (on Hallmark stationery) to let them know I’m discontinuing purchasing not only Hallmark Keepsake ornaments, but I’m no longer buying merchandise in their stores or online. I am a Gold Crown Platinum member, so I had to ceremoniously cut-up my purple card that I’ve proudly presented for decades. I will not pay for a Hallmark movie channel. I’ve thrown away all my coupons. In short, I am cancelling Hallmark because they have cancelled us loyal Hallmark customers. Unfortunately, all of the rhetoric will “go away” after the election cycle, and Hallmark will lose many of its customers. I will not buy Hallmark ornaments on eBay or any other sight. I have decided to keep my collection, preserve it and display each holiday season. They bring great joy to my family each year, but most good things must come to an end. Hallmark, they will come after other products of yours and you’ll end up with one candy cane ornament to offer, unless for some reason candy canes become offensive. Happy Holidays Hallmark, and good luck trying to keep up with all the rhetoric.

• September 13, 2020 at 4:35 pm

I am sick and tired of this, racism is being attached to everything. I have every one of the Gone With the Wind ornaments so I guess I will not be adding anymore Hallmark anything. Boooo Hallmark for taking the knee on something so ridiculous. All you have done is drive the price up on the few ornaments that did manage to get sold, shame on you Hallmark.

• September 17, 2020 at 8:24 pm

It seems like every thing has been taken from us this year. Now this, I have bought my daughter a GWTW ornament every year since she saw the movie, she is now 50. What’s next? I also buy her a Grinch ornament. He’s GREEN!!!!!!! Pretty soon our faces will not have a nose or eyes so we don’t show any kind of emotions.

• September 25, 2020 at 8:22 pm

I don’t understand why more people aren’t complaining about the gone with the wind ornament being pulled someone got them because their selling the on ebay Hallmark won’t sell them It’s just a movie

• October 2, 2020 at 3:38 pm

I agree with be all the comments above because it’s just a crock of bologna. I have all the ornaments from GWTW and this is soooooo stupid. GWTW is a classic love story with the Civil War as the background. You cannot erase history but learn from. I’m tired of all the cry babies. AND why are these cancelled ornaments on eBay for $500??? Some people got them.

• October 5, 2020 at 1:39 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous! Do NORMAL AMERICANS have a rights or say any more? This ornament is my favorite gift every year. I have been a loyal Hallmark customer for 40 years. I have every GWTW ornament, I baught my children and now my grandchildren their ornaments every year I have 6 the oldest is 11. However I find it hard to support a company has choosen to support a movement that promotes violence, (killing of police) hatred and the decinergrtion of common decency. As a result or you decision I will control what I can on my end and say goodbye to any products made by Hallmark.

• October 6, 2020 at 10:40 pm

This really upsets me that Hallmark is taking away something that so many of us loved! I have every ornament from the GWTW collection except the 2020. I looked for it and found it with ridiculous prices….it’s just one that I will not have. This will mean the end of buying anything with the Hallmark name on it! I think everyone should boycott Hallmark for doing something so idiotic! I’m so tired of all this BS that has something to do with things that nobody alive today was alive to see! There was no harsh mistreatment of slaves in GWTW. Prissy was threatened for telling Scarlett that she knew about birthing babies, that was it! I hope someone with some brains will reconsider the damage they are doing to the Hallmark brand…..many, many, many, lost sales!

• October 7, 2020 at 8:32 am

Do you know what I find absolutely frustrating about this whole thing because I am a HUGE GWTW fan…………..They are trying to censor this movie (along with so many other things) because it depicts racism and slavery in their eyes. Yet if they look at the BIG picture – all facets of the movie – it’s really just a romantic drama set in the old South but more importantly, Hattie McDaniel (Mammy) was the first African American woman to receive an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress as her role as Mammy in 1936 for GWTW. That’s an amazing accomplishment and should be celebrated especially for that time. This movie shouldn’t be banished as a shameful blemish against ethnic equality.

• October 9, 2020 at 1:02 pm

I I too found out today that Hallmark discontinued the gone with the win ornament for 2020. It is absolutely yes. I have been collecting gone with the wind memorabilia for 35 years. Gone with the wind has been my favorite movie Since I was 15 years old and I’m 50 years old now. Hallmark will no longer get any of my money. And I think there are a lot more people out there who feel the same way I do. Shame on you Hallmark.

• October 12, 2020 at 8:36 am

I have purchased every Gone with the Wind ornament that Hallmark has released. I am very disappointed in your decision to discontinue. I always put up multiple Christmas trees each year decorated with Hallmark ornaments. Each tree has a different theme including Disney, Peanuts, and Gone with the Wind. This year I will not be adding to my collections due to the discontinuation of Gone with the Wind. I am disappointed in your decision to no longer recognize this movie and its history.

• October 12, 2020 at 3:57 pm

Count me in as upset by this. I, too, am a platinum card holder who’s collecting dollars were not important to Hallmark.

• October 12, 2020 at 10:29 pm

This is absolutely sad that you listen to thus radical movement and not the majority. Bring back the ornament!

• October 14, 2020 at 8:40 am

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL THE ABOVE . I am so disappointed with all of this. It’s totally rediculous. We are the ones that do not have any rights anymore. Hallmark has changed so much on the movies, & very disappointing. Between racist & gay, i am very disappointed with hallmark. I really only watched the hallmark channels, because of the terrible shows & news on the other channels. I enjoyed it. Now don’t have anything to watch anymore. Especially the gay in your movie. That just topped it! I bought my friend a GWTW every year for for 30 years. Now if I want this one, I found one on eBay for $999.99. Tell me why that is!!!!!

• October 16, 2020 at 8:41 am

It is a crying shame that they would cave in to such a violent hate group – BLM and ANTIFA are a disgrace to our country – I don’t understand how such a reputable organization could stoop so low! It only makes hate and racism worse!!!!! That is what I feel – so they are not accomplishing anything except more hate and racism!!

• October 20, 2020 at 7:43 am

I too have all the GWTW ornaments and am so saddened that this has happened. My daughter always gets me the new ornament for Christmas, its been a tradition for years. Shame on you Hallmark for ruining family traditions! This is so ridiculous! Its a love story!

• October 20, 2020 at 10:44 am

What a shame. My mom also has been collecting these every year and was devastated to find out that they were not being sold anymore. Ever since she was young growing up in the 50’s and 60’s she loved it after being introduced to it from her mom. Absolutely disgraceful from hallmark.

• October 21, 2020 at 1:38 pm

disgusting how a company can’t stand up and just sell its product i and it hurts you don’t buy it but if you’ve been collecting it for a hundred years and you like the movie cuz it’s a movie and those were actors in it you should be able to buy any Gone with the Wind products you want and by the way slavery did happen you keep trying to say it didn’t happen but it did happen it was a horrific thing it’s done it’s history I hope people keep learning about it.so I sure as heck hope another company decides to make Gone with the Wind Christmas ornaments and outsells Hallmark by a long shot because I’ll never buy anything related to Hallmark again.

• October 24, 2020 at 11:10 am

I just saw the 2020 Scarlett O’Hara ornament being sold for $999.99 on line. How disgusting! Shame on you Hallmark for caving in to this hateful political movement! I just don’t feel the same about Hallmark anymore and find myself shopping there less & less! Your reasoning on this is just stupid! Shame on you for not caring about your loyal customers!

• October 24, 2020 at 5:13 pm

So sad. Supporting blm and atifa instead of ur customers. I guess you don’t care or just afraid. Your losing alot of customers. Why buy anything from hallmark or watch movies. Hope blm and antifa can help your bottom line this will sadly be ur fault for backing terrorists

• October 29, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Agree with all of the above. Have bought my mother and myself all of these. No more shopping at Hallmark for me. It is sad with ‘politics’ dictates what can and can’t be sold and/or bought.

• November 2, 2020 at 11:32 am

THIS IS DISGUSTING! I have given my daughter these ornaments every year as long as I can remember. It was OUR tradition. Now that some thug was killed only after he had a drug induced episode, I have to give up a lovely tradition. What does this even have to do with BLM. I call BULLSHIT

• November 6, 2020 at 12:43 pm

Just found out today about Hallmark “cancelling” some ornaments (not restricted to Gone with the Wind) for reasons of sensitivity. They have, in fact, contributed to causing people who typically do not even think of the racial component to reassess their values in a negative fashion. Hallmark has by their own stupidity focused on and encouraged racism by cowering to minority shaming. I spend hundreds of dollars at hallmark each year but no more. They have done a huge disservice to their franchise stores who will ultimately suffer the loss of revenue from a lot of people. This goes beyond ludicrous.

• November 6, 2020 at 3:04 pm

I too have all the GWTW ornaments. I found out today at Hallmark’s open house that the 2020 ornament is not available. I was heart broken. I had a friend do some research and found out they have the ornament for sell on E-bay for $2500.00 and on Hallmark’s website for $1000.00. My question is how are are the ornaments made available for these sites. Isn’t this price gouging which is illegal. Shame on you Hallmark for letting this happen. I am done with Hallmark.

• November 14, 2020 at 8:52 am

Sad, Sad, Sad. Caving to Cancel Culture. We learn through history. This is America. We can make our own decisions on what to buy. Shame on Hallmark. No more Hallmark ornaments for me!!

• November 15, 2020 at 9:34 am

I am very sad with hallmark pulling the new GWTW ornament. I have been collecting them since they first came out. I have collected hallmark Christmas ornaments for my kids since they were born and they are in their 40’s. I also been collecting hallmark for my 4 grandkids which oldest is 13.
    I have spend lots of money on the ornaments
    This year since I cannot get the new GWTW ornament I will not buy from hallmark
    My mother took me to see that movie when I was a kid. That was the only movie she took me too. I loved that movie ever since. Not because of slavery which was wrong but because it was a classic movie. I learn about the North and south war. Scarlet was a very strong women in those days. My bedroom is done in gone with the wind. I made green velvet drapery. My dog was named Scarlet who had past away. Now I got a new dog and I was going to name her Mamie but decided I better not. I named her Bonnie. I loved Mammie. She even won an Oscar You can’t take away history. You can learn from it so it won’t happen again
    Very unhappy customer

• November 17, 2020 at 9:43 pm

I will not support a company who bows to the idiocy of identity politics. Hallmark is making tons off advertising for their Christmas channel but mark my words, they will eventually come for that too claiming it is racist.

• November 22, 2020 at 2:41 pm

I suppose you could find fault with a lot of the Hallmark ornaments—-Star Wars and Disney to name two. What a disgrace to link Scarlett O’Hara to racism. What is wrong with people? We are collectors—-we are not looking to offend anyone!

• November 25, 2020 at 2:01 pm

I have them all and I an really and truly upset. This movie has for years been considered a classic with one of the best casts on record. The first black woman to receive an Oscar was from that movie – Hattie McDaniel for the role of Mamie. I have a GWTW table tree I put out every year and I will continue to do so. Shame on you Hallmark, the refusal to release another ornament of Scarlett is ludicrous and not racial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• November 26, 2020 at 5:05 pm

SELLOUT!!!!!! I have bought one a year for 15 years. I will no longer buy anything Hallmark!

• November 28, 2020 at 6:04 am

I hope they go under!

• November 30, 2020 at 6:47 pm

I have be collecting those ornaments when they first came out. Why because someone might get offended. Hallmark keep politics and. everyone has their own opinions does mine even matter. I guess just the people it may offend. Very disappointed Hallmark.

• December 4, 2020 at 1:32 pm

I buy one of these for my wife every year, she has the whole collection and is named after the movie. I think its terrible that they pull the line due to the complaining of people who I’m sure don’t shop at Hallmark anyway. The movie simply depicts an era the way the era was, its called history, and all of the complaining about it wont make it not true. I have a feeling Hallmark will see their sales be a little lighter this Christmas as I know I wont be shopping there any longer.

• December 7, 2020 at 10:38 am

I guess I am behind in the news. I have all the GWTW Hallmark ornaments and have been KOC platinum member for years. The reason was I want to guarantee I got the GWTW ornament each year. I have recently started some other collections but none that I loved as much as my GWTW. I went at the end of last week to pick up my multiple hundreds of dollars of layaway. Not one person said anything about the ornament being pulled. I ordered this back in January. Why would Hallmark not have honored the orders that were already placed with their KOC members. Instead, employees and warehouse employees are now making a fortune off of them. There are some on EBay for $2,000. These ornaments mean something to me, but they mean cash for the people who got their hands on them. I feel of Hallmark would have honored their orders prior to their decision, then they could have pulled them and don’t offer anymore would have been the appropriate move. Well to the people selling them, I will not spend this kind of money for something I ordered that would have $21.99. Good Luck with selling them. Hallmark, you just lost a good customer.

• December 10, 2020 at 3:43 pm

I have every one of these ornaments. How did some people get a hold of them to sell on eBay for $2000. It’s a book and a movie that’s been around since 1939. This is ridiculous. It’s a fictional movie based on the civil war. The civil war happened. It’s history

• December 11, 2020 at 9:43 pm

I am Black. I bought the GWTW ornament for my niece every year. GWTW is one of the best books ever written and I think the movie based on the book is the best movie ever made. Slavery happened. Its a part of our history that cannot be erased. The book and movie are about a love story which focuses on the material and personal losses of one family in particular. But I am disappointed at some of the comments here. BLM is not a hate group and George Floyd did not die after a drug-induced episode. He died as the result of a knee being held against his neck. I hate having to come to the defense of people with bad backgrounds but his past didn’t justify what happened to him on the day he died. No one sat on Dylan Rouff’s neck after he shot eight people in Bible study. But I digress. Corporate America is making bad decisions to distance itself from racism. Eliminating the GWTW ornament from its line is a very poor response to racism.

• December 15, 2020 at 12:03 pm

I can’t believe this nonsense. You quit selling these ornaments so as to not offend certain people but what about our wants. I am a loyal customer of Hallmark, each year I purchase not only a GWTW ornament for my sister but ornaments for my grandkids. I won’t step foot in your stores again. Just because you sell these ornaments does not mean you are racist, Margaret Mitchell paid for the first African American male to go to school to become a gynecologist. But people don’t want to look at these things.

• December 17, 2020 at 8:28 am

I agree with every comment posted above. I too, have bought the GWTW ornament every year for my daughter…we both looked forward each year in which dress Scarlett would be wearing..That pleasure has been taken away. Also, I would like to know, where did the ornaments come from that is selling on E-Bay for thousands of dollars each. This is obscene and ridiculous…

• December 17, 2020 at 4:39 pm

I am absolutely appalled at Hallmark for doing this! You didn’t want to offend the general public by offering the opportunity to buy this ornament and in the process have offended me and violated my Right to choose whether I may buy it?!
    Who are you that you feel you are so pious and know better for me than I know for myself?
    This is truly offensive to me as an American, but more importantly as a Christian. This is very Anti-Christ like behavior to deem this bad.
    I have 5 Hallmark Christmas trees and spend a thousand plus dollars every year at your stores… not this year.
    I may never again.
    This ornament is a tradition in my family.
    Shame on you!

• December 31, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Express our outrage in a tangible way…. boo<yc!ot^ting,
    3) reaching out to 6 others making the same request.

Our desire is not to punish Hallmark, but to get them to recognize the moral failing in acquiescing to the destruction of history…be it good or bad… and reinstate GWTW products.

F’I.G*H%T-B+A=C~K@N*O-W.!

!!!Copypastesendoutthisemailnowplease!!!

• January 10, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Hallmark is feeding into the evil dish served by the media. I’m so sick of these buffoons trying to erase history. Have you ever heard that history is taught because if it is something terrible, we are then we are less likely to repeat it? Hallmark, you have lost my business. God help us all and God bless America.

• January 23, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I stopped buying ornaments this year too. I am so disappointed and disgusted with the whole thing. I have collected GWTW for my daughter for years. I actually called Hallmark and spoke to a representative. I told them I’m done, I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on Hallmark ornaments but that has come to a screeching halt. I collected a lot of things from them. I’M DONE and as far as their movies at Christmas went some of them were sickening. So now we’ve lost those as well. GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE…

• February 25, 2021 at 7:11 am

I am so sick of cancel culture- I have spent hundreds of dollars buying Hallmark GWTW ornaments and they what to take away the one ornament I collect because a group of socialism deem it racist! I will never buy another ornament from Hallmark again! I don’t need a company telling me about racism – Indians have been put through more than any race – where is their cancel culture I don’t see it why because it is all about the $ and they don’t what to be labeled racist. No company is going to tell me what I think is racist or not – I have 2 master’s degrees and one of them is in history. To be honest, in the movie GWTW, they treated their slaves much better than the movie Roots. It’s all about how many minorities are placed in the movie and not the talent or beauty of the movie. American I need to get past what happened before and during the Civil War. It happened, it’s horrible, and it’s been 200 years so get past it.

• March 12, 2021 at 12:17 am

I have three curio cabinets of GWTW collectibles including all my hallmark ornaments. I was busy moving during the holidays and just remembered I had missed my ornament purchase. Then I discovered what had happened. This story is postcivil war and reconstruction. Are we going to try to eliminate all history.?This is so stupid and the sad thing it’s never enough. What will be next? Stop all the church ornaments? All the sad things of 2020 just caused more devision. I live in a rural area and not exposed too much but being an American means nothing anymore. There will never be a solution because we can’t change history. But we can be punished for a few enjoyments in life that Hallmark had to cave in and take away from loyal customers. They should ask themselves, was it worth it? No, because there is no “ever enough”.

• March 25, 2021 at 9:47 am

Shopped at Hallmark for years. Bought a lot of ornaments, cards. gift wrap and gifts. NO MORE!!!!!!!!! This is pathetic.

• March 27, 2021 at 7:24 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha!

You people are all butt hurt over a movie and not getting your precious ornaments!! No wonder this country is in such a state. Grow Up!!

• March 27, 2021 at 11:41 pm

As the other people that have written here I have spent lots of money at him. Some year 6,000 to 3,000. This last year was 4,000 dollars. I have to cut back on what I buy. I know I should just stop all together but I have so many collections. I was going to cuth back this year anyway. I hope enough people cut back to make a dent in their profits. That is really all that will hurt them is in the pocket book. One can only hope.